Monday, April 12, 2010

The Best of Both Worlds

About halfway through my pregnancy, there were some massive budget cuts with my employer. I volunteered to reduce my hours after I came back from maternity leave. I was so blessed – I could have the best of both worlds…or so I thought. My days with L were amazing. I seriously watched him grow from day to day. Then one month after L was born, my husband was offered an amazing promotion. I was so incredibly proud of him. However, the new promotion involved a lot more travel.

As I spent my next month home on maternity leave and trying to work a few hours, I realized I wasn’t giving the job or my family my best. Everyone was being cheated. My decision was gut wrenching and my husband was wonderful to support me in the choice that made me happy. I tortured myself for a month. I asked everyone that I knew what they would do, what they did, any regrets…

I know this is a very personal decision for every mom. I felt blessed that I was even given the opportunity to decide. My decision was made as we were walking through the mall and I saw a Rainbow flip-flop stand. I stopped to browse and told my husband that I wanted to invest in a really good pair of flip-flops since I would probably be living in them this summer as I stayed home with L. Turns out, he was thrilled and wanted that more than anything too. (Me to stay home - he really wasn't that excited over the flip-flops.)

I loved, loved my job and cried when I gave my notice. However, I love L more than I will ever love any job. Being a mom is truly the biggest honor. Working my notice has been extremely difficult. I have one month left. And one of the biggest transitions in my life begins…working for something that means so much more than $$$...

1 comment:

  1. I think what you said is right - what each mom decides is ultimately what's right for her. I can't wait to see all the fun flip flops!

    ReplyDelete